Oral Healthcare Recommendations & Tips For Parents
Here is a quick checklist of things that parents can do to help ensure their child's dental hygiene:
- Visit a dentist within six months of the signs of the first tooth or by age one.
- Use bottles for bedtime only with water. Napping or sleeping with milk or juice can cause tooth decay
- Drink from a cup after the age of one.
- Breaking the thumb sucking habit by the age of 2
- Don't use sugary substances on pacifiers
- Limit sugary snacks and juices
- Use a child toothbrush with only a pea-size amount of toothpaste
- Clean gums while the teeth are coming in.
- Supervise teeth cleaning and brushing activities till the age of 8
- Make sure they are receiving the correct amount of fluoride by talking with Dr. Konotopetz.
- Clean pacifiers or utensils with water. Do not use your own mouth and then give them to children as bacteria can be passed along.