A dental crown is a custom-made cap made of gold, metal, or porcelain that completely envelopes your tooth. Most common, porcelain dental crowns, blend in seamlessly with your natural teeth and restore the damaged tooth’s function.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
- Improved appearance of a misshapen tooth
- Restoration and strengthening of a broken or weak tooth
- Tooth protection after a root canal
- Restoration of a tooth with an extensive filling
- Attachment and anchor of a dental bridge
- Functional and visual restoration over a dental implant
- Durability. Dental crowns typically last 10 to 15 years!
Dental Crown Procedure
If your tooth is damaged and requires restoration, our team at Signature Smiles office will first assess the tooth to determine if a tooth crown is the best treatment solution. If you decided to go ahead with a dental crown, you would probably need to attend two appointments. We will prepare your tooth for the new crow and take an impression to ensure a tight fit during the first one. We will provide you with a temporary crown until your final crown is complete. Once we receive your custom crown back from the lab, you will return to our office, and we will permanently bond the dental crown to your tooth.