How Long are Dental Fillings Supposed to Last?
One of the most common oral health issues is the cavity.
The earlier your dentist can identify the cavity, the sooner they can offer treatment. Early treatment increases the chances of resolving the cavity without further intervention.
Commonly, we use tooth fillings in Regina to fill in cavities and preserve your tooth.
But if you’ve never had one before, you may wonder “how long should a filling last?”
In this article, we’ll review the answer to “how long do fillings last?”
How Long Do Teeth Fillings Last?
Many years ago, gold and silver were the most common materials for dental fillings. Now, dentists may use a variety of materials. Each material has a different potential lifespan.
Most dental fillings will last for up to 10 years or more. Here’s a closer look at filling lifespan by material:
- Gold: The longest-lasting filling, as they can last 15-30 years.
- Ceramic: Both ceramic and porcelain fillings can last around 15 years.
- Silver: Silver amalgam dental fillings often last between 10 and 15 years.
- Resin: Composite resin fillings look very natural, but they only last up to 7 years.
Tips for Extending the Lifespan of Dental Fillings
So the answer to “how long should a filling last?” will vary depending on the material. However, many other factors influence the lifespan of fillings.
Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to help fillings last longer including:
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily.
- Use a night mouth guard to protect your teeth and filling at night.
- Use a sports mouthguard during sports or other high-impact activities.
- Attend regular dental cleanings and exams.
Tooth Filling in Regina, SK
If you think you may need a tooth filling for a cavity, our dentist can help. We offer comprehensive dental services including cavity treatment and tooth fillings in Regina, SK. Our general dentists will examine your teeth to determine if you have a cavity, and we work with you to choose the best treatment for you. Schedule your appointment for a dental filling in Regina with Signature Smiles today!