What to Know About Porcelain Crowns
Dental crowns are a common tooth restoration option. While they’ve been used for many years, they have also improved immensely in recent times.
Old dental crowns were not the most natural-looking solution. They were typically made of metal, silver, or gold, and therefore they were easy to spot in your smile.
However, modern dental crowns are often made from porcelain. Porcelain dental crowns in Regina, SK offer a natural-looking solution for damaged teeth.
What’s the truth behind porcelain crowns?
Keep reading to find out!
Tooth crowns, also known as dental caps, fit over your damaged tooth like a “hat.” They cover the tooth, restoring its shape and function. Most often, dental crowns are used to repair teeth with severe decay, chips, or cracks. Many dentists use them on teeth that had a root canal or were broken. Porcelain is now the preferred material choice for crowns because of its strength and natural appearance.
Advantages of Porcelain Crowns in Regina, SK
Previously, many tooth crowns were made from tin, silver, gold, or platinum. While these materials worked fine functionally, they were an eye-sore for your smile. Now, porcelain dental crowns are most common in Regina, SK, because they blend in with natural teeth.
Here are the top benefits of porcelain crowns:
- Aesthetic value Porcelain crowns blend in well with natural teeth. They can even be used on front teeth for this reason.
- Durability Porcelain is a very strong material. These crowns last for many years and are incredibly durable.
- Comfort The dentist will customize the crown to fit your natural tooth. It will feel incredibly natural, and soon you won’t notice it!
Addressing Tooth Crown Myths
There are several misconceptions about tooth crowns. Let’s get to the bottom of them!
- Ouch! They hurt Many people avoid crowns (and dental care in general) because they fear it will hurt. When you receive a dental crown, the dentist must re-shape your tooth. However, they use numbing agents to ensure a pain-free process. Many dentists also offer sedation options for those who need them.
- They look fake It’s true, dental crowns made from metal will stand out in your smile. But porcelain crowns are tooth-coloured, which means they blend in very well.
- It’s not urgent Some other dental procedures, like wisdom tooth extraction, may seem more pressing. However, if you are advised to get a dental crown, you should do so as soon as possible! Leaving the tooth untreated could lead to further damage and more extensive dental treatments.
Porcelain Crowns in Regina, SK
There are clear benefits to tooth crowns, and they are a common way to restore damaged teeth. If you think you could benefit from one, consult our general dental team at Signature Smiles. We will evaluate your smile and help you determine the right treatment option for you.
Schedule an appointment for porcelain crowns in Regina today!