What to Know About Dental Implants
If you’re looking to restore missing teeth, then dental implants are a great long-term solution. Since they are secured to your jawbone, dental implants are a durable restoration solution.
How does a dental implant procedure work?
Learning more about the dental implant procedure can help you determine if it’s right for you.
Keep reading to learn more about dental implants.
About Dental Implants
A dental implant is fused to the jawbone. Created from titanium, the implant acts as an artificial tooth root. Once the dental implant is healed, then the dentist will secure a replacement tooth (usually a crown).
The end result is a natural-looking, stable dental restoration. Some of the top benefits of a dental implant in Regina, SK include:
- A long-lasting solution that’s fixed in place.
- Durable. Dental restorations last several years.
- Natural-looking. These blend into your smile, sitting naturally between your real teeth.
- Restore speech. Missing teeth impact your ability to speak correctly, and dental implants can help improve this.
- Pain-free eating. Acting like natural teeth, dental implants facilitate eating, helping you enjoy your favorite foods without discomfort.
The Procedure for Dental Implants
How does the dental implant procedure work? Here’s a brief overview:
- Consultation: At the consultation appointment, the dentist will assess your smile and help you decide if dental implants can help you.
- Install the implant: The first step is to install the implant into your jawbone. The dentist uses IV sedation or a local anesthetic to ensure your comfort.
- The dentist begins with an incision at the implant location.
- After placing the implant, the dentist seals your gums over it.
- You return home to recover when your jawbone will grow around the implant.
- Abutment installation: After the implant heals, you will return to the dentist. The timeline for this varies. When you return, the dentist will secure an abutment to the dental implant.
- Dental crown: Finally, you will return for the tooth crown installation. The dentist will install a custom crown to the abutment to complete the dental implant.
Dental Implants in Regina, SK
Do you think a dental implant could help you? Turn to our general dental clinic, Signature Smiles, to learn more. We will examine your smile and help you decide if a dental implant is right for you. Our general dentists provide dental implant treatment, and are happy to assist with any questions you may have.
Book your appointment for dental implant consultation in Regina, SK today!