How to Heal a Mouth Sore
Mouth sores are not only annoying, but they can also be painful. Several factors can cause these pesky sores to appear on the lips or around the mouth.
Oftentimes, they heal with some simple at-home remedies. However, if you don’t notice improvement after a week then you should seek treatment.
But what can you do to help your mouth sore?
Here are some tips for how to cure a mouth sore.
Cold Sore vs Canker Sore
First, you need to know what kind of mouth sore you have. Here’s the breakdown of a cold sore vs canker sore:
- Canker sore: Round white or yellow sore. Acidic or spicy food can cause these sores as well as braces hardware or other irritants.
- Cold sore: Cold sores are caused by a virus. When the virus travels to your skin, it will cause a cold sore.
Tips for Healing a Mouth Sore
How can you alleviate mouth sores? Here are some helpful tips?
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide, or add it to your mouthwash. This helps to neutralize dental acids and heal the canker sore quicker. Be mindful not to swallow the hydrogen peroxide.
- Salt rinse: Dissolve salt in warm water to create a salt rinse. Rinse your mouth for 30 seconds to disinfect canker sores and heal them quicker.
- Nutrient-dense diet: Eat a nutrient-dense diet to boost your immune system and help your body fight off cold sore viruses.
- Glycine cream: Glycine cream, or zinc oxide, helps address cold sores. Ideally, apply this as soon as you notice the sore develop.
Canker Sore and Cold Sore Treatment in Regina, SK
Even with at-home treatments, mouth sores can be persistent. Our general dental team at Signature Smiles is here to help.
Turn to our dental clinic for canker and cold sore treatment in Regina, SK. Book an appointment with our general dental team for oral health care including mouth sore treatment.
Schedule your appointment today.