How often should I brush and floss?
Proper brushing of your teeth at least twice a day and proper flossing at least once a day is recommended for good oral hygiene.
Proper brushing starts with utilizing an approved soft bristle brush and ADA approved toothpaste. Ensure that:
- Brush at a 45-degree angle to the gums
- Use a gentle circular motion along the gums
- Brush the entirety of the tooth - outer, inner, and biting surface
- Use the tip of the brush head to clean the inside front teeth.
- Brush the tongue including the back of the tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Electric toothbrushes are great to ensure that proper brushing is achieved.
As for proper flossing. Utilizing 30-40 cm of dental floss, wrap it around your middle finger, leaving about 5cm of floss between the hands, insert the floss between the teeth using a sawing motion. Curve the floss into a "C: shape around each tooth and under the gum line, gently move the floss up and down cleaning the side of each tooth.
And always ensure you rinse once you have flossed or brushed your teeth.
More Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I go to the dentist regularly?
- How can I get my kids to brush their teeth?
- Is it necessary to see my dentist if I have dentures?
- How can I prevent cavities?
- What is periodontal disease?